Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: competition committee  (Read 4755 times)
mr212

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »

there seems to be some confusion between the rulebook and how the competition committee is acting. this should be corrected.
the rulebook defines the responsibility of the steward to setup and administer a rider point system. also notes that the steward can disqualify a rider, however it does not give any other description of his duties.
the competition committee is to rule on disqualifications and appeals, does not mention the steward.
example: if the steward disqualifies a racer and he appeals, it is the comp committee that makes the decision (only club members can vote, not steward). it does not even note that the steward   chairs  the comp comm. who is the chair.

due to the protests at OCMC other questions arise. Nobody, officers or steward have the ability to allow a protest with out the required "protest fee", rules say " must", not "maybe required". It is my understanding that the steward noted that one rider did a major course cutting during the race, if so that rider should have been DQed, not given a time penalty. I also could not find where the punishment of time penalties came in.
the rules should also note that if a racer wants to appeal the competition committees decision, he may appeal to AMA. the method is noted in the AMA rulebook.
The rulebook should be designed to make sure the riders and the officers know how to interpret rules, not make new rules or  interpretations.
Eric Schettler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:34 PM »

Art,

The CC did in fact vote on the suggested penalties and the motion passed by a majority.  The judgement is not that of the Steward nor did he vote on the motion. 

The entire situation was handled a little differently than the rulebook prescribes due to an error made by an AMRA official when the protests were presented after the race.  Because of that, AMRA has made an effort to correct the situation by evaluating the protests as if they had been filed correctly.  AMRA wants to do what is right and the "right thing" is fair racing. 

If you have further concerns reguarding this please contact the Steward directly at steward@amararacing.com

Thank you.

AMRA Media Officer
Rock Stars MC
smert
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »

I will own this error completely. The parties who filed the protests asked about paying the protest fee and I alone made the error in not collecting the fees. That these fees were not paid rests solely on my shoulders. Dismissing the protests because the fees were not paid would be completely unjust to the people who filed the protests because I did not accept a fee. I regret the error and its caused a lot of issues since it occurred.

I think we should have a comp committee meeting between the ACP race and the Fast'r race to discuss these issues as well as other agenda items like the banquet which are coming to a point of needing to be determined. 2 hours on a weekday night starting at 6PM. Any suggestions would be welocomed.
Garrett Wichmann

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

Art,
If you have any questions please contact the Big Bike Steward at steward@amraracing.com
mr212

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »

I really don't have questions, just trying to point out some problems with the rules as written. I would suggest that the comp committee look at the competition rules that District 37 has. it will explain some areas that AZ has not looked at yet and some suggestions for improvement.
they have been doing this for many years. there comp committee is the total of their stewards, which they have a lot of, they also have grand prix and enduro stewards plus about 5 stewards for the desert racing divisions. at the end of each year the stewards decide by vote on who there referee will be for the upcoming year. and this referee heads the comp committee. (i'm not suggesting the AZ. do the same just showing a different method.)
However their rulebook would be a good reference. try District 37 ama/org and look for riders information and you will find the rulebook.
AMA's desert rules pretty much follow districts 37's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: