Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When to say when...  (Read 10044 times)
hypnogic
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 06:23:59 PM »

and it's saddening to hear the criticism, while it may be warranted, but hope that good comes of it....

Think it's important to note the difference between expressing concern and being critical...Regardless of the mixed feedback from the initial post and also a statement made by a rider in another forum, everyone recognizes this race took a daunting effort and appreciates all that went into it. But, with that said, it doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't/isn't room for improvement in the future.

If we cannot recognize opportunities to improve, we will never excel.  Wink

Heymate
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »

We are aware there are things we could have improved on from the event held this past weekend and have already had initial discussion as to some of these areas so we can work towards continuos improvement for our event in 2015.
Janik Knittle
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »

This has to do with rider safety, and it's not a gripe, but a concern. In the wake of a personally disastrous weekend race, I feel compelled to speak up about "when to say when."

The Coyote Classic - from a rider safety standpoint - was anything but exemplary, and a lack of manpower/volunteers can be cited as the primary reason. I am a lowly C-rider, who relies heavily on clear course markings to make it to the finish line (that and some very patient sweeps).

Up until this race, I'd never missed a single turn, hit a potentially dangerous spot unawares or veered off course. Yet, TWICE I found myself wondering where the pretty pink ribbons and the W "wrong way, Fred" signs had gone because they weren't to be found.

After doubling back in a wash (after struggling through it til it at last forked into a wider, Jeep-like wash, and waiting for about 20 minutes for a sweeper to show up and point me in the right direction, I took a WAG that a trail (with no obvious markings) was where I should travel next. I'd have back tracked all the way to the checkpoint if I hadn't thought that might be too dangerous because of the potential of opposite direction traffic.

Traveled that trail for a while before a pink ribbon finally presented itself. Stayed tried and true there until it opened up to a Jeep road where once again, the pink was nowhere to be found.

If it weren't for the fact that I waved down AA rider Janik Knittle, who also got off course, there may have been reason to call out the search parties. Thanks for your help, Janik.

When at last I made it to a checkpoint, I was told that I was the lone rider to get lost. This wasn't the case as I heard tales from others at the staging area that they, too, missed markings and had to double back. Truth is, it doesn't matter if it's one or 100 who miss the signs. If an event is too shorthanded to follow AMA rules on adequate markings, it makes for a very risky proposition and perhaps the race should be postponed.

Don't misconstrue this because I seriously appreciate all the hard work and effort the clubs put in to make these events happen, but course safety has to be paramount.
I'm glad I could help you out Christine!

To Geoff and the rest of FAST'R. I thought the markings were pretty decent, I never had any problems following the trail as it was marked. And as far as the A split goes, crap happens. I thought about it and actually back tracked for a short distance before I saw oncoming racers. I was very leery of riding against race traffic so I turned back around and followed the A loop.  I'm slightly dissapointed about it but I'm not angry by any means.

I'm still looking for redemption! This is at least the third year in a row where I've had bad luck!
Sedona368
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »

Having been my first AHRA Race, I thought it was a great event. the markers were sufficent enough to that I kept on course. I had to look ahead for them but I found all to be on tract. The dust was horrible but hey, that's racing! Hats off to the workers for all the effort they put into this. I do want to thank the sweep guy who hooked me up with a bottle of water between test 2 and three. my hydration pack did not work the whole 40 miles and I was pretty dehydrated by that time. That bottle of water let me finish! Thanks buddy!
Sedona368
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

There was another way I looked to find the next ribbon, go faster, the faster I went the quicker they came by, throttle is on the right, just turn it!!!!
NICE!
buckholz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »

Hope I wasn't too strong with my feedback.   I want to grow our AMRA organization to where we are getting 300+ racers at each event.

Learning to race enduros in Texas as part of the Texas State Championship Enduro Circuit TSCEC and RMEC in the 80's and 90's and ADRA and BITD during that same time period, we often had over 300 racers.  And the C/Amateur ranks were full of racers that showed up, paid their $30-$35 and loved to race for just a coupla hours, on fun, easy courses similar to our San Manuel race.  As I pulled into the parking lot beside the school at this year's Copper Classic, I remembered my first AZ desert race 25 years before.  Destry was a kid coming up through ADRA, and the parking lot along with all adjoining camping places were overflowing with folks.  And back then ADRA charged a ton of money to race.

Our fees, in the $50 to $60 range, are inline with our racing fees back 20 some years ago.

So, where are all the racers, we need at least a hundred folks to show up and race to just break even, if we get 200, clubs thrive.  If we were to be pulling in 300 racers like the old days, it would be a blast!

So, what can the AMRA organization do to bring out more racers?   TSCEC had an over 40 expert short course, where older guys that didn't want to be beat to heck could race the C course.

I continue to believe that making the C loop easier will bring in more folks, and will also encourage long time C racers that can ride highly technical terrain but not necessarily at a high rate of speed, to move up to B class. 

Certainly, getting folks like Christine lost on a loop is not the way to encourage new riders, thus my belief that we need to be diligent in marking the course, particularly with W signs.

Thanks, off my soapbox for now.  Buck
Jim_C

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »

Christine,

Hang in there.  Chalk this one up as inexperience. Enduros are not easy and course finding is part of the challenge.  For example an inexperienced rider (a) would approach a short tight (single track, steep with no room on each side of the single track) hill section and see rider (b) beginning to hammer the hill and rider (a) would stay right behind him.

Rider (a) might throttle back and make sure rider (b) clears the section or is close to clearing the section.  If rider (b) stalls in the middle of the section and or hill then rider (a) has no where to go.  Now your momentum has gone and your stuck.

Sometimes it's better to actually throttle back than hammer away.  Keep racing and try and learn from each race and continue to improve.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: